Rhiannon made these for Halloween using a recipe in the Hershey’s Recipe Collection cookbook. But instead of only hiding Kisses inside, in half of them she hid pieces of celery and carrots or grapes. It was a lot of fun! And it turns out, even the ones with the veggies in them still tasted yummy (and eating the veggie is optional). The ones with grapes tasted kind of like fruit pie.
Secret KISSES Cookies
1 cup butter
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
1 cup finely chopped walnuts or almonds
36 Hershey’s Kisses
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until fluffy. Add flour and nuts; beat on low speed until well blended. Cover; refrigerate 1-2 hours until dough is firm enough to handle.
- Remove wrappers from chocolates. Heat oven to 375. Using about a tablespoon of dough for each cookie, shape dough around each chocolate; roll in hand to make a ball, covering each piece of chocolate completely. Place on uncreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not browned.Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. While still slightly warm, roll in powdered sugar. Cool completely. Store in tightly covered container. Roll again in powdered sugar just before serving.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.
Sludge aka Magic Cookie Bars
Rhiannon also baked a very old favorite. I’ve had this recipe longer than I’ve had kids. I don’t even remember where I got it, though it’s highly likely I clipped it out of a magazine such as Good Housekeeping or Family Circle in the 1980’s. I did that a lot. To creepify this for Halloween, Rhiannon added green food coloring to the sweetened condensed milk and named the dish Sludge. The texture is quite sludgy right after coming out of the oven and we have been known to enjoy this with a spoon while it’s still hot.
This is a photo from the the Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk website. I didn’t photograph our Sludge this Halloween.
Magic Cookie Bars
- 2 cup (12 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
2. COMBINE graham cracker crumbs and butter in small bowl. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. Press down firmly with fork.
3. BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Loosen from sides of pan while still warm; cool on wire rack. Cut into bars or diamonds.
SUBSTITUTE chocolate chips or nuts with candy coated pieces, dried cranberries, raisins, mini-marshmallows or butterscotch chips.
For perfectly cut cookie bars, line entire pan with foil, extending foil over edge of pan. Coat lightly with no-stick cooking spray. After bars have baked and cooled, lift up with edges of foil to remove from pan. Cut into bars.